This hospital has been founded in the 1920s. It was then called: Sint Elisabeth ziekenhuis.
Nowadays (2018) it is established on Jl.H.Misbak no. 7 at Medan (coordinates: Latitude: 2,33 and longitude: 99,07). The hospital is classified as a Class B hospital (reg.code 1275072) and has got a bed capacity of 209 beds.
its staff has 98 doctors of whom 78 specialists and the other personnel is rather extensive: 257 nurses, 53 midwives and 317 other disciplines.
The website of the hospital is: http://www.rssemedan.com.
This website describes the history of the hospital as follows: (Google translated and shortened):
The forerunner of the Medan Santa Elisabeth Hospital.
In 1922, Mgr. Mathias Brans, the mission leader of OFMCap, wants to develop the Catholic mission in Sumatra, especially in the field of health care. To realize this plan, he asked the Dutch staff through Mgr. Petrus Hopmans, who finally chose the FSE Congregation in Breda. Initially the sisters were invited to help serve in government hospitals in Sumatra. Finally on July 16, 1924 it was decided that 4 (four) sisters would be sent to Indonesia, namely: Sr. Pia (as moeder = community leader), Sr. Philotea, Sr. Gonzaga and Sr. Antoinette as a member. On 29 August, the ship Johan de Witt carrying the four sisters left the Netherlands and arrived in Indonesia (Medan) on 29 September 1925. In the first few days they could not immediately live at home because they needed to adapt and had difficulty speaking Indonesian. So, for a while they stayed at the SFD nuns at Jalan Pemuda Medan. Until one day Father de Wolff delivered some bad news to the four pioneering nuns, that the government hospital, which had promised to take them to work as employees, now corrected the decision. They do not accept the presence of Catholic nuns working there. This news was like a very heavy blow for Mother Pia and the three other sisters. What they imagined when they departed from the Netherlands was completely different from the reality they experienced. Thereupon, the sisters began their mission of serving the sick from house to house, and lived in a simple rented house on Jl. Hemorrhoids no. 8 (now Jl. Kolonel Sugiono). From day to day there are many challenges they face, but they still do whatever they can to help the sick people. They are willing to be called to serve anywhere, even when needed, they are not reluctant to come and treat the sick from house to house. Such presence and service are very much needed by the community, the sisters are often called upon and are always on standby to be called, anytime and anywhere. Many sick people came, so that the Sisters almost ran out of time from morning to evening. After 8 months, the service became more and more demanding so that the rented house was deemed inadequate. So the sisters bought a house on Jl. Padang Bulan (now Jl. S. Parman). The new house, although simple, was spacious enough so that part of it could be used for nuns (monasteries), and partly for the shelter of the sick who were being treated. On the occasion of the visit of Mother Asisia (Leader of the Sisters at that time) in 1928, plans emerged to establish a hospital. In a relatively short time the preparations for it were immediately carried out. The Polonia area was chosen as the most strategic area, because it is in the heart of the city and the area is large enough for further development. The process was very short, 11 February 1929 the construction of the Hospital began with the laying of the first stone. After the groundbreaking was completed, Mother Assisia returned to the Netherlands, and gradually sent new missionaries to Indonesia. In May 1930 the hospital building was almost complete and part of it could be used, while improvements were still being made here and there. The new hospital was completely completed in November 1930. However, in practice since May 1930 this new hospital has received 25 (twenty five) inpatients. On 19 November 1930 the hospital was blessed and officially opened by P. Doomen. Since the inauguration of this hospital, all of the sisters moved from Padang Bulan and lived in Jl. Imam Bonjol 38, which was built in the hospital complex (only bordered by a wall). Until now this house has been the main house of FSE in Indonesia. At the inauguration ceremony of the hospital, everyone was not sure that the nuns could manage a pretty good and large hospital in their day. However, they do not give up on hearing discordant comments that doubt their abilities, instead they are increasingly optimistic about going forward by entrusting everything to Divine Providence. Especially after dr. Stohl, who was appointed head of the hospital (the term director at that time did not exist), confidently said “To my knowledge there has never been a Catholic hospital that has gone bankrupt”. The belief of these servants of God has really come true. Because they have experience in the health sector, especially managing hospitals, so the management of this new hospital runs well and continues to develop. In 1933 the Mother of Assisia came to Indonesia for the second time. This visit is very meaningful for the whole congregation, because it brings a big change. Sr. Pia who has been a moeder (leader) for 9 (nine) years was replaced by Sr. Insfrida, the youngest sister in the community at that time. (Sr. Insfrida became leader until the Japanese occupation, circa 1946).