The mission sanatorium Pakem (Central Java) was opened in the second half of 1938 by the Zending van de Gereformeerde Kerken as kind of auxiliary specialized hospital to the main hospital at Yogyakarta. See Indisch Verslag 1938.
From Memorial Issue Petronella (1896-1936), pages 36-37: Because of the large number of patients with lung tuberculosis the question rose how could be arrived at a more effective way of treatment for this disease. By the leading mission authorities in Holland it was then decided to build a sanatorium near the mountain village of Pakem, on the slopes of the Merapi, 620 meter above sea level and at a distance of 19 km from Yogyakarta. On the 23rd of June 1936 this establishment was solemnly opened by the Sultan of Yogyakarta. The sanatorium contains a pavilion for men and one for women, each 24 beds and a boarding house for European and Javanese nurses. The institution has an electricity facility by its own and owns a water conduct. Right from the beginning a lot of patients applied for admittance in such a way that soon a new pavilion was opened for 3rd and 4th class patients with 46 beds. The total capacity was thus enlarged from 48 to 94 beds. The intention is exxpressed toexpand the institution to a complete sanatorium with its own lung specialist, with x-ray and a number of 150 beds. For the time being lung images are taken in the main hospital at Yogyakarta.