In 1880 a hospital was established in Sawahlunto (West Sumatra) by the Government owned Ombilin coal mines.
The image is from the KITLV collection image signature 53825 and dates from 1925. This picture was taken on the occasion of the departure of the medical director J.K.W. Kehrer on 28th January 1927 to the Netherlands. The KITLV possesses also a picture of the Sawahlunto coal mines dated about 1880. In 1909 a number of 5,486 patients was admitted among whom 48 women.
Sawahloento was the subdepartment and district with main town of the same name of the department Solok, Residency West Sumatra. The subdepartment has an assistant Resident who resides at Sawahloento. The population is about 44,000 inhabitants of whom 564 Europeans and 650 Chinese. The town is situated on the railroad. The Mining company is named after the river Oembilin, a branch of the Batang Sinamar.(Gonggryp 1934, 982 and 1272).