The indigenous hospital of Singaradja (Bali) is first encountered in a Residency report of 1910. In this report it is mentioned that during the year 1909 in the “ziekengesticht te Singaradja” 66 patients were treated. 7 of them died. The patients were classified as 51 free persons (poor and sick free men who had to look after their own food) and 15 prostitutes. The next time the hospital is mentioned in the Bijblad van het Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indië no. 11446 (Supplement to the NI Statutebook) of August 1927 in which the hospital is classified as one that treats 3rd and 4th class patients (resp. tariffs ƒ 3 and ƒ 1.50). Its status has been upgraded in the meantime to a Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (GBZ) or Government Civil Hospital.
The hospital’s location may be traced under the heading Maps, subheading Map Hospitals 1940.
Singaradja was in the 1930s the capital of the Residency Bali and Lombok, situated in the north of Bali. The town had 12,000 inhabitants of whom 190 Europeans and 1,500 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 1299).