The Garrison hospital 2nd class at Banjarmasin (SE Kalimantan) was mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article referred to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrisonhospital of Banjermasin had on average 75 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD) which in that same year all over the archipelago treated an average of 4,244 inpatients. Some 25 year later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,359 inpatients for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The average occupation rate of the Banjarmasin hospital is then 43 inpatients, whereas 569 have been admitted that year.
The directing Health Officer 2nd class, W. van der Veer reports about the MGD in the period 1911-1934 and mentions the transformation of a number of military hospitals into ziekenzalen (Infirmaries), among others this happens to the garrison hospital at Banjarmasin in 1932. See: Geneeskundig Tijdschrift voor Nederlandsch-Indie (GTNI) 76 (1936), 202-234.
In the 1930s Bandjermasin was a district and principal city of the Residency Zuider- en Oosterafdeeling van Borneo. It used to be the residence of the sultans of the Realm of Bandjermasin and is situated between the rivers Bantopoera and Martapoera. It is a pros-perous commercial city of 64,000 inhabitants. From 1609 date the first commercial contacts between Sultan and VOC, but only in 1860 the realm was occupied and the NI Government witnessed before and afterwards many uprisings. In 1865 the LowerLands were pacified, but it took 40 years more to pacify the Upper Lands of the Realm (Gonggryp 1934, 73-74).