Garrison hospital Tjimahi 1900
The garrison hospital at Tjimahi (Preanger) was opened in 1897. The Koloniaal Verslag of 1898, addendum A mentions that the hospital admitted in 1897 a number of 323 European and 887 indigenous patients. The situation by the end of that year was a presence of 20 European and 39 indigenous patients. The Koloniaal Verslag 1897 mentions the building of a temporary hospital with stores. The Koloniaal Verslag 1898 mentions (p.20): ‘The completion of the part of the military hospital 2nd class that was needed to comply with the necessary capacity by the end of 1897, whereas the temporary facility of the year before was the first part. This hospital is not only necessary for the patients of the garrison, but also for the military of army and navy, nursed in the two private health establishments in the region (Soekboemi and Sindanglaija).’
Koloniaal Verslag 1917: a nurses lodge was completed in the military hospital of Tjimahi.
Koloniaal Verslag 1918: Nurses who were trained in the Netherlands were engaged by the military hospital at Tjimahi.
Koloniaal Verslag 1921: A start was made with the building of an operating theatre. The works to complete a steam laundry were continued. An experiment of central treatment of patients suffering from Syphilis or Gonorrhoe by specialists was successful. It was started in 1919. The treatment centres at Weltevreden, Magelang, Tjimahi and Malang will have separate treatment facilities in separate buildings.
From: Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost Indie (Asia Maior/KNAG, 2003) p.258 shows a townplan of Bandoeng and Tjimahi. From the early 1900s, the NEI Government’s strategical concept plans also designated the Bandoeng Plain,which is accessible only by means of a small number of mountain passes, as the island’s main centre of military defense. In case of an invasion by a superior army force, the KNIL would be expected to retreat in strength to this ‘Fortress Bandoeng’ and be able to continue its defense for a prolonged period of time. Bandoeng itself and nearby Tjimahi were the area’s principal garrison towns, with various related stores, workshops, medical facilities, etc. In addition, there were several outlying military groundsand bivouacs, such as Padalarang, Batoedjadjar, and Tjipatat. In 1911, the War Department and the KNIL’s staff were moved to Bandoeng altogether. During the last two pre-war decades, nearby Andir airfield became the NEI Army Air Force’s (Luchtvaart Afdeling, from 1911 Militaire Luchtvaart KNIL) central base and maintenance station. In October 1940, Bandoeng was made home to the Netherland’s East Indies’ newly established Royal Military Academy.