The garrison hospital 1st class at Plantungan (Semarang) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Plantungan had on average 160 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The Plantungan establishment had been converted into a so-called Badetablissement (health resort) with an average occupation rate of 33 inpatients, whereas 26 had been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 24 patients.
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Plantungan health resort: 26 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1899 of 12 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
By Government Decision of 17 October 1908 no. 20 jo. and article 2 of the Government Decree of 21 December 1908 no.9 the military hospital at Plantungan is changed into a civil leprosy facility and the local management is by contract transmitted to the Salvation Army for a period of 2 year.
Pelantoengan was in the 1930s a town in the regency of Batang and in the Residency of Pekalongan, province of Central Java.