The military garrison hospital 3rd class at Singkawang (West Kalimantan) was mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Singkawang had on average 35 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The Singkawang hospital has in the meantime been converted into an infirmary with an average occupation rate of 2 patients, whereas 152 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 3 patients.
About 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1898: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1898: 3,731. These figures were for the Singkawang infirmary: 153 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1898 of 5 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Singkawang was in the 1930s a department and subdepartment of the Residency Westerafdeeling van Borneo (West Kalimantan). The main town had the same name and was administratively run by an assistant-Resident. It had 100,000 inhabitants of whom 200 Europeans and 38,000 Chinese. The town of Singkwawang is at the seaside and connected by roads with inland and coast towns (Gonggryp 1934, 1300) .