The military garrison hospital 3rd class at Toboali (Bangka) was mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Toboali had on average 5 patients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The Toboali hospital had been downgraded to an infirmary in the meantime, but no report on patients was received,due to the absence of an officer of health.
About 1900, the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1898: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1898: 3,731. These figures were for the Toboali infirmary: 7 admittances and nopatients present on 31 December 1899 (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Toboali was in the 1930s the principal town of the subdivision South Bangka of the Residency Bangka en Onderhorigheden (Bangka and Dependencies). See Gonggryp 1934, 1423.