The infirmary 3rd class at Bantaeng, former spelling Bonthain (SW Sulawesi) is mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average a total of 4,244 occupied beds. The infirmary at Bantaeng had only on average 3 inpatients that year. Some 25 years later the Koloniaal Verslag published with Addendum D, the figures for the year 1890. The infirmary at Bantaeng was not mentioned any more, most probably meaning that it was closed in the meantime.
Bantaeng (Bonthain) is in the 1930s a department, subdepartment and district with a main town of the same name. Administratively it is ruled by an assistant-resident. It has 350,000 inhabitants, of whom 150 Europeans and 1,000 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 160).