The military infirmary (ziekenzaal) 4th class at Banyuwangi (Bezoeki) is mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 826. In this article a survey was presented of all military health facilities existing in the year 1867. The infirmary of Banyuwangi had in that year on average 4 occupied hospital beds. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (GMD), that in that year cared for 4,244 inpatients on average for the whole archipelago. About 25 years later, the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 sums up in Appendix D all military facilities and their occupational rates, but the infirmary at Banyuwangi has no inpatients on the 31st of December 1890 and during that year only 12 patients had been admitted.
Banyuwangi (nice smelling water) was in the 1930s a Regency, District with a principal town of the same name. It was part of the Residency Bondowoso and of the Province of East Java. The peninsula Balambangan is part of the Regency of Banyuwangi. In earlier times the Resident of Banyuwangi was ruling the islands of Bali and Lombok as well (Gonggryp 1934, 94-95).