The infirmary 3rd class at Gorontalo (Gorontalo) is mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds. In that same year the infirmary at Gorontalo had an average occupancy of 6 beds. Some 25 years later the Koloniaal Verslag published with Addendum D, the figures for the year 1890. The infirmary at Gorontalo admitted in that year 19 patients and had at the end of the year an unknown occupancy rate due to the absence of an Officer of Health during the last two months of 1890.
Gorontalo, department and subdepartment with a principal town with the same name is in the 1930s part of the Residency Menado. The department is administrated by an assistant-resident and exists of 3 subdepartments. Its population is 186,000 inhabitants,of whom 300 Europeans and 1,500 Chinese. It is a rather poor region with little future perspective. The main town has only importance as town of transit commerce. In former times the region was formed by five realms (Holontalo, Limbotto, Bone, Boalemo and Attinggola) were transferred to the VOC by the Sultan of Ternate in 1677. In 1889 the realms (which had no radjas since 30 years) were included in governmental areas with common consent of the heads and the population (Gonggryp 1934, 371).