The military infirmary 2nd class at Kepahiang (Bengkulu) is mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 826. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds. In that same year the infirmary at Kepahiang had an average occupancy of 13 beds. Some 25 years later the Koloniaal Verslag published with Addendum D, the figures for the year 1890. The infirmary at Kepahiang is mentioned without figures because of the lacking of an officer of health at that station in 1890.
Kepahiang is in the 1930s the principal town of the subdepartment Lebong of the Residency Benkoelen. It is situated in a mountaneous region (500 m) (Gonggryp 1934, 647).