The military infirmary 1st class at Kupang (Timor) is mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 828. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds. In that same year the infirmary at Kupang had an average occupancy of 16 beds. Some 25 years later the Koloniaal Verslag published with Addendum D, the figures for the year 1890. The infirmary at Kupang admitted in that year 43 patients (13 Europeans and 30 indigenous patients) and had at the end of the year 1 indigenous patient left.
The directing Health Officer 2nd class, W. van der Veer reports about the MGD in the period 1911-1934 and mentions the transformation of a number of military hospitals into ziekenzalen (Infirmaries), among others this happens to the garrison hospital at Koepang in 1934. See: Geneeskundig Tijdschrift voor Nederlandsch-Indie (GTNI) 76 (1936), 202-234. This means that somewhere between 1890 and 1934 a conversion must have taken place from infirmary to garrison hospital. As there were a lot of uprisings in Timor during the first 10 years of the century, the conversion must have taken place in that era.
Koepang was in the 1930s a subdepartment and at the same time a autonomous Landscape with a main town of the same name. It was the capital of the Residency Timor and Dependencies. The population has 85,000 inhabitants, of whom 360 Europeans and 1,500 Chinese. The capital of the Landscape Koepang is Boekanase (Gonggryp 1934, 664).
See: Grote Atlas van NOI, p. 399: The townplan of Koepang ( Residency of Timor enOnderhoorigheden, Division Timor en eilanden, Sub-division Koepang, capital of Residency , division and sub-division) of 1943 shows again a military hospital.