The military infirmary 4th class at Pengaron (SE Kalimantan) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the infirmary at Pengaron had on average 4 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Pengaron infirmary is not mentioned and the other data are also missing because of a vacancy of the post of officer of health..
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Pengaron infirmary: 82 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1899 of 2 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Pengaron is situated on the river Kiwa in the subdepartment Martapura of the department Banjarmasin in the Residency Zuider- en Oosterafdeling of Borneo (SE Kalimanatan). Coal is found in the neighbourhood of Pengaron. Exploitation of gold was started in 1849, but left in 1884 (Gonggryp 1934, 174 and 818).