The military infirmary 4th class at Solok (West Sumatra) was mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the infirmary at Solok had on average 4 patients. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Solok infirmary is then 16 patients, whereas 355 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 15 patients.
About 1900, the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1898: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1898: 3,731. These figures were for the Solok infirmary: 305 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1898 of 12 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Solok was a divison of the Residency Westcoast Sumatra. Its capital was Sawahloento, situated in the subdivison of the same name. The town Solok was situated on the Soemani river, which flows into the Singkarak Lake. It had a railway station of the West-Sumatra railroad.