The military infirmary 2nd class at Talang Padang (West Sumatra) was mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the infirmary of Talang Padang had on average 11 patients. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The Talang Padang infirmary is not mentioned, meaning that the infirmary in the meantime has been closed or that an officer of health post had been vacant, reason of no reporting.
Talang Padang is mentioned in a report in 1919 of the Australian Military authorities on the Netherlands Possessions in the East Indies (p. 66): ‘From Talang-Padang, 10miles south-west of Tebing-Tinggi, a cart road runs via Bandar to Batoe Radja, and thence converges again to the main road at Palembang.’ The town is situated in the Palembang Upperlands, in the subdivision Tebingtinggi on the banks of the Moesi river.