The military hospital Bodjong at Semarang was mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 826. The hospital was one of the 3 large military hospitals on Java (Batavia, Surabaya and Semarang). The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD). The Koloniaal Verslag 1920 mentions the building of a new military establishment in the hills of Djatingaleh near Semarang. At the end of 1919 the 5th Batallion Infantery removed to this new encampment. At the same time a start was made with the building of a new military hospital at that spot, together with housing facilities. W. van der Veer mentions that the hospital at Semarang in 1932 was converted into an infirmary due to the policy of economizing during the years of crisis (“De militaire geneeskundige dienst van 1911-1935”, GTNI 76 (1936) 224).
The Military hospital at Bojong in these surveys is distinguished from the one at Djatingaleh. The hospital Bojong existed from mid 19th century until 1920. The Djatingaleh military hospital existed from 1920 to 1932 and was then converted into an infirmary.
Semarang was in the 1930s a Residency in the province of Central Java with a capital city with the same name. It has a municipal council and a mayor and the number of inhabitants is 218,000, of whom almost 12,600 Europeans and 27,500 Chinese(Gonggryp 1934, 1287).