The Deaconess hospital of Semarang was opened in January 1910. It was called Juliana hospital at that time. Its first director was C.E. Benjamins, who reported extensively on
the preparations for the construction and about the result: the buildings,the terrain and the personnel. It started small with five rooms for 1st class patients, two rooms for 2nd class patients and two rooms for 3rd class. During its first year of functioning a number of 3,127 nursing days were reported (on average 8 occupied beds) and 96 outpatient days. This type of hospitals had a responsibility for community health care too. The hospital at Semarang was together with the one at Jakarta (Tjikini), Surabaya (Ngemplak) and Medan especially founded for the European patients. The third and 4th class rooms were mainly for indigenous patients.
The pictures are from the KITLV imagebank (signatures 6092 and 84,123).
For the location of the hospitals consult the heading Maps, subheading Charity hospitals 1940. See also Grote Atlas van NOI (Asia Maior/KNAG) p. 284-287.
Semarang was in the 1930s the capital city of the province of Central Java, it was the main port city for that province. It had a municipal council and a mayor and had 218,000 inhabitants, of whom 12,600 Europeans and 27,500 Chinese.