The Missie ziekenhuis of Elat was established on the so-called Grote Kei islands.
It was a general hospital that was founded in 1933 by the roman-catholic congregation “Dochters van Onze Lieve Vrouwe Heilig Hart” at Tilburg, The Netherlands.
See Jan Willemsen, Van tentoonstelling naar wereldorganisatie, 94. Beside the general hospital a leprosy hospital was established.
See Dutch Missionary Activities, 107-109. Interviews 48 en 50; KMM 258 en 306; Sister M.C. Jansen (sister Marcaria) worked from 1936 to 1974 all the time in health institutions. These were hospitals on the Kei-islands and Tanimbar, both in the diocese of Amboina. Most of the time she acted more as a doctor than as nurse and executed minor operations.
People called her grandmother and therefore she was rather influential.
From Gonggryp, Geillustreerde Encyclopaedie van Nederlandsch-Indie, 1934, 605: “The Kai-islands were a subdepartment of the department Amboina, residency of the Moluccas with a ‘gezaghebber Binnenlands Bestuur’ in the office at Toeal. The subdepartment has 51,000 inhabitants, among whom 70 Europeans and about 170 Chinese. The group of islands is situated in the Banda Sea. Principal islands are Groot-Kai and Klein-Kai and the Kai-Tanimbar islands. Agrarian products: sago and coconut. Mission and Zending are both established in the Kai-islands. At Toela the apostolic vicaracy of New-Guinea of the Congregation of the Holy Heart of Jesus is established.”