In the 19th century the indigenous hospital was replaced by a Stadsverband, by which the municipality of Cheribon took care of the patients among its population. Schoute (Occidental Therapeutics, p. 163) dates the origin of the Stadsverband in the year 1868 and defines Stadsverband as: “municipal dressing stations, houses where wounded and sick were dressed and soon also received for treatment.” (See Gouvernementsbesluit of 1 April 1870 no. 15 and 11 Maart 1899 no. 13). In 1920 the Stadsverband was replaced by a new municipal hospital.
Cheribon (Cirebon) was in the 1930s a Residency, regency and district in the province of West Java. Its inhabitants were about 2 million,of whom 3,400 Europeans and 34,000 Chinese. The Residency is situated in a very fertile region, in the north low lnds inthe south mountainous, a continuation of the Preanger mountains. The capital Cheribon (Cirebon) had 52,000 inhabitants of whom 1,500 Europeans. In the 1930s the city had a municipal council and a mayor. Cheribon was a vassal state of Mataram, when the VOC company was negotiating a contract with the three reigning princes in 1681. Cheribon remained vassal state and this situation was continued unchanged untilthe beginning of the 19th century.In 1803 a smouldering revolt under the population was pacified by the governor of the Northeast coast of Java, Nicolaus Engelhard. In 1813 the British abolished the administration of the sultans.
See General Hospitals 1940 – Google maps for the exact location of the town of Cheribon.
See Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) p. 266-269 for an elaborate townplan of Cheribon with indications (Figures 6 and 39) of the locationof the indigenous hospital and the municipal hospital.