In 1921 the GBZ at Medan was split up in a Mannenhospitaal and a Vrouwenhospitaal (Female hospital). This separation lasted to 1930, when the old Stadsverband was replaced by a new municipal hospital. In 1921, the nursing of female patients was transferred to the new Vrouwenhospitaal (Female hospital) and this hospital looked after midwife care in the town of Medan too. In 1930 the old Stadsverband was replaced by a new municipal hospital with 3 doctors. The patients of the Female hospital were transferred to the new hospital and the female hospital was left with only the midwife training. In 1935, this training too was transferred to the municipal hospital. Midwife training and training of mantri-nurses took place in the new hospital.
Medan was the main town of the Government of the Eastcoast of Sumatra and of the division Deli and Serdang and the Sultanate Deli.The town had 75,000 inhabitants, of whom 4,000 Europeans and 30,000 Chinese. The town had a municipal council and a mayor (Gonggryp 1934, 825).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of town and hospital.
See also the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003). The pages 98-101 provide an extensive townmap of Medan, including hospitals.