The public hospital at Poerworedjo was upgraded from an indigenous hospital before the 1920s. With the Government Decision of 13 May 1927 no. 32 the hospital was formally closed.
In the 1930s Poerworedjo was a regency, district and subdistrict of the Residency Kedoe (Province of Central Java). The main town Poerworedjo was situated at the railway. The regency had about 281,000 inhabitants of whom 900 Europeans and 2,000 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934,1179).