The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Sibolga (Tapanuli) was a public general hospital. The first time this hospital is mentioned in official documents is 1927 in the document “Vaststelling van de Regelen betreffende de bestemming van Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichtingen, de formatie van het personeel, zoomede de kosten van verpleging in die inrichtingen.”(Regulations concerning status, personnel and tariffs).The GBZ Sibolga is classified as a hospital that admits patients in the nursing classes 3 and 4 (corresponding tariffs f 3 and f 1.50). The document was published as addendum no. 11446 to the NI Statutebook of 1927. See also Bijblad no. 13808 of 9 February 1937 (Addendum to the NI Statutebook 1937) in which this classification is reaffirmed.
The hospital was visited in March 1940 by the then ruling Governor General Tjarda van Starkenborgh Stachouwer. The director is at that time Government Indian physician Loemban Tobing and the acting physician for the Residency: dr.Maasland.
See for the locatiion of the hospital the Heading Maps, subheading Public hospitals 1940.
Sibolga was in the 1930s the capital of the Residency Tapanuli on the Westcoast of Sumatra. It had 12,000 inhabitants, of whom 241 Europeans and 1,900 Chinese. The town is situated on the Bay of Tapanuli and connected with the inland by motorways (Gonggryp 1934, 1292).