Indigenous hospital Kota Raja

The general indigenous hospital at Kotaraja (Aceh) was opened in 1908. See Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie (Statutebook) 1909, no. 59.The annual report of the Civil Medical Service reports about this hospital: In the civil hospital of  Koeta Radja were present by the end of the year 1908 a number of 18 patients. During 1918, 24 free men (Coolies of Sabang) had been admitted. They could all be dismissed in a better condition. Only 7 remained in treatment, and two died. The remaining preventive prisoners or punished by police arrest were discharged during the course of the year. Of the newly punished preventive prisoners (24 men and 1 woman), one woman and one man died of acute beri-beri and four remained in treatment. All others had been discharged. There were 22 men,of whom one prisoner was treated for syphilis, whereas two women (not being prostitutes) were nursed with the same diagnosis. Only seven men and  two women had been admitted for the diagnosis blennorrhoe and two patients foreye diseases.

The Koloniaal Verslag 1925 mentions the closure in 1924 of the Inlandsch gouvernementsziekenhuis (indigenous government hospital)  at Koetaradja (Government Aceh and Dependencies). See Javaansche Courant 1924, no. 39.

Kota Radja was in the 1930s a subdivison of the Division Groot-Atjeh, Government Atjeh and Dependencies. The capital with the same name is at the same time divisional and regional capital. The subdivision is administratively ruled by a Controleur and has 27,000 inhabitants, of whom 1,200 Europeans and 3,700 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 666).

See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps for the location of the town and hospital.