The indigenous hospital at Pangkadjene (Sulawesi) was a small general hospital that was first mentioned in 1904 : The Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie announced the employment of a male servant for a monthly salary of f 10 (Government decision no. 28 of 12 january 1904).
Pangkadjene was in the 1930s a subdivision of the division Makassar of the Government Celebes and Dependencies. It had a so-called ‘gezaghebber’ BB. The subdivision had 94,000 inhabitants, among whom 9 Europeans and 160 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 1128).