The indigenous hospital at Pare (Regency Kediri) was founded in 1906. The Staatsblad van Nederlandsch Indie no. 31 of 15 January 1906 (Decision of the Governor-General no. 22) mentions the establishment of this ‘Inlands hospitaal’, which was later rebaptized into ‘Gouvernements Burgerlijks Ziekeninrichting’ (GBZ) and mentions the appointment of personnel for this hospital: one mandur at a monthly pay of f 15 and one male or female servant at a monthly pay of f 10. An expansion of the number of patients above 40 allowed for an additional appointment of 1 servant per 15 additional paients.
Pare was in the 1930s a District of the Residency of Kediri in the province of East Java. It was situated in the northeast quarter of the Kediri regency. The regency had a population of 350,000 inhabitants, of whom 2,800 Europeans and 9,100 Chinese. The region was occupied by the NI government in 1830 after the Java war (Gonggryp 1934, 642).