The health resort at Oenarang (Central Java) was a military institution that was established about 1850. Schoute mentions it in his survey of military health institutions in the year 1867. In that year the bed capacity of Oenarang was reported to be 86.
The military doctor Steenstra Toussaint reports about the start of the institution, when 147 of a total of 180 admissions were fully recovered. In his words: ” De ziekenwagen vertrekt met geraamten naar Oenarang en keert telkens met frissche boerenjongesn terug.” (the ambulance leaves with skeletons and returns with healthy country lads). See GTNI 1852, 60.