In North Celebes a leprosy facility existed at Modelemo (Gorontalo) about 1880. The number of patients was rather limited, due to the recently adopted policy to refrain from obligatory hospitalization. As leprosy no longer was judged to be contagious the danger of infection was small or non-existent. There was a hereditary component in the course of the disease, but mainly in the initial phase. Because of this policy patients only could be admitted on a voluntary base. In 1879 on average 9 patients were nursed in Modelemo. In 1882 the Government decided to close the facility because of the small number of patients. A few of them were handed over to their family to be taken care of.