The central hospital of the Tandjong Rubber Company at Tandjong Kassau in the hospital Ressort Tebing Tinggi on the Eastcoast of Sumatra was founded before 1912 (E. van de Velde, Het Hospitaalwezen op Sumatra’s Oostkust, Het Ziekenhuis, nrs. 9, 10 and 11 (1918), nr. 27 of the legend of the central hospitals. See Catalogus Hygiene Tentoonstelling Bandoeng 1927. The picture was from the Tropenmuseum collection TMnr 60053820 and reads: Patients in the garden of a hospital, Tandjong Kassau. The patient is situated near the European ward in 1927.
From Sir Malcolm Watson, Rural sanitation in the tropics, 64, Notes on Sumatra: “The hospital consists of a number of buildings connected by corridors. Each ward is 70 feet long by 22 feet wide,and has accomodation for forty patients. At one corner there is a room for a dresser. The walls are brick, the floors cement, and down the centre runs a shallow drain. There is no verandah. The windows are covered by mosquito-proof screening fixedso that it cannot be removed. On the inside the screening is protected by ordinary half-inch mesh iron-wwire netting. The disadvantage of this is that the screening cannot be easily cleaned. The jack-roof was also screened. So weree the double doors, where, however, the screening had been partially destroyed by rust, evidently from water used in washing the floors. I was informed that in the new wards there was not to be screening above the wall plate under the eaves,oron the jack-roof. The experience in Panama is that screening is required especially under the eaves, or on the jack-roof. There is separate ward accomodation for dysentery. In the latrine the excreta are deposited in a dry cement trough, which at frequent intervals is washed down with a desinfectant (? Jeyes’fluid) into a large pit.The pit is emptied once a month. The latrine was free from objectionable smell, and no flies were present. The dispensary was well furnished. the operating room was well provided with instruments; and there was a room for microscopic examination of blood, and other material from the wards. the work of medical officers is almost entirely confined to the hospital. Although visiting the estates from time to time to inspect the sanitary arrangements and to attend sick Europeans, it has been found most satisfactory to send sick coolies to properly equipped central hospitals rather than call the medical officers to see the coolies on the estates. Coolies are allowed to be one day off work, and are given simple treatment if they complain, but do not wish to go to hospital. If, however, not fit for work on the second day, they are sent to the hospital in a spring bullock-cart. Like most Sumatra hospitals,this is a combined hospital, and received patients from ten estates, the farthest of which is 18 miles away. Three of these estates have not contributed to the cost of building the hospital, and are called Outside Estates, in the following table, which shows the number of coolies on 5th March 1913:
On the 5th of March 1913 a number of 571 patients had been admitted, of whom 50 from other estates. New coolies under observation: 76. The number of admissions from the participating estates was 445. During the year 1912 all company hospitals together admitted 6,025 patients. Diagnosis malaria: 611 admittances. The 445 sick coolies represent the sick from a labour force of 8,596 on the combined estates.In practice the estates provide 5 beds per 100 of the labour force and this is usually found to be ample. All new coolies are passed through hospital, and subjected to thymol treatment for ankylostomiasis.”
See for the location of the hospital Map Hospitals 1940.