The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Besuki was established somewhere in or before 1909, as the Annual Report of the Civil Medical Service of that year mentions that 252 patients had been treated in the hospital with 9,565 nursing days and an average of 26 occupied beds. An average length of stay of 38 days resulting. The Annex to the NI Staatsblad of 30 August 1927 (no. 11446) regulating use, personnel and tariffs of inlandsche (indigenous) hospitals, mentions the hospital of Besuki as one that is classified for only nursing class 4 (nursing tariff: ƒ 1.50 per day).
The Koloniaal Verslag 1930 mentions that the GBZ at Besoeki was closed from 31 May 1929 as a consequence of the decentralization process that transferred health care responsibilities to local administrative bodies.
Besuki was a Residency of the Province of East Java with as capital city Bondowoso. The Residency had 2,081,867 inhabitants and was situated south of the Street Madoera, near Street Bali. The inhabitants were Madoerese with the exception of Banjoewangi, where Javanese and Balinese lived. In Bondowoso and Djember sugar and tobacco were cultivated. (Gonggryp 1934, 135).