The Koloniaal Verslag 1895 mentions the building of a new hospital at Kraksaän for syphilitic prostitutes, wounded persons, etc. The fate of all hospitals for syphilitic women was its closure in 1911. Apparently this hospital was continued as an Inlandsch hospitaal that later on was upgraded to a Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital). The hospital was mentioned in the Bijlage bij het Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie (Supplement to the NI Statute Book) no. 11446 of 30 August 1927: “Vaststelling van de Regelen betreffende de bestemming van Gouvernements burgerlijke ziekeninrichtingen (GBZs), de formatie van het personeel, zoomede de kosten van verpleging in die inrichtingen.”( Regulation of target groups, personnel and tariffs of GBZs). The GBZ at Kraksaän was only allowed to admit patients in the nursing class 4 (nursing fees ƒ 1,50). This means that it belonged to the category of small general hospitals. The GBZs were transferred to regional, provincial or local administrative bodies in the course of the 1930s.
In the 1930s, Kraksaän was a regency in the Residency of Probolinggo (East Java). The regency counted 280,000 inhabitants, among whom approx.500 Europeans and 1200 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, p.704).
See also General hospital 1940 – Google maps, for the location of town and hospital.