The Gouvernements burgerlijke ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Lahat was established in 1924 by Government Decision of 9 February 1924 no. 15. The hospital is mentioned in Annex 13808 of the NI Staatsblad (Statute Book) of 9 February 1937, concerning: “Regelen betreffende de bestemming van Gouvernements burgerlijke ziekeninrichtingen, de formatie van het personeel, zoomede de kosten van verpleging in die inrichtingen.”( Regulations of target groups, personnel and tariffs in GBZs), in which the nursing classes are settled in classes 3 and 4 (nursing fees ƒ3 and ƒ 1,50).
In his so-called Memorie van Overdracht (Memorandum of transfer of office) the leaving Resident W. Steinbuch of the Residency Palembang reported (21 July 1936) about a second Government Civil Hospital at Lahat (code 2.10.36, fiche 1 of inventory number 215 of the Ministery of Colonies0) pag. 31 e.v. Originally it was built for the S.S. (Staats Spoorwegen), but was converted into a civil hospital with an infirmery for the care of military patients. As the establishment was connected to the public water conducts in the beginning of 1935, an important quality improvement was acquired. From the “Rubberfonds” an allowance of f 1200 was obtained to improve the medical equipment.
Lahat was the main town of the Palembang Upper Lands and of the sub-department Lematang-hoeloe of the Residency of Palembang (South Sumatra). Lahat is situated 110 m above sea-level and had an agreeable climate. It is situated at a side branch of the railway Palembang-Teloekbetoeng and at the Lematang a tributary of the river Moesi (Gonggryp 1934, 715).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of town and hospital.