The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) of Meulaboh was established in the 1920s. The first time it was mentioned was in the Annex to the NI Staatsblad no. 11446 of 27 August 1927. In this document that regulated the use, personnel and tariffs of inlandsche hospitalen, it was mentioned to admit only patients in nursing class 4 (nursing tariff: ƒ 1.50). This usually meant that it was a small rather basic hospital. The hospital existed only for a short time: By Government Decision (J.C. 1929 no. 52) it was decided to close its doors as from 1 January 1929.
Meulaboh was a selfgoverning so-called Landschap of the department West Atjeh of the Government Atjeh en Onderhoorigheden. It was also mentioned Kawai XVI. A Landschap in the Netherlands Indies was a self-governing administrative unity. As the decentralization policy of the NI Government progressed, not only regencies, municipalities or provinces, but also Landschappen took over existing hospitals from the central government. In the case of Meulaboh it is not clear, if the Landschap took over.
The town of Meulaboh is capital of the department West Coast Atjeh and is situated on the large road alongside the coast, direction Koetaradja (Gonggryp 1934, 833).