The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil hospital) at Moeara Teweh was established in the 1920s. The Annex no. 11446 of the NI Staatsblad of 30 August 1927 mentions this hospital as a small hospital that only admits patients in nursing class 4 (nursing tariff: ƒ 1.50). See also Bijblad no.13808 of 9 February 1937 (Annex to the NI Statute Book).
In his Memorie van Overdracht (Memorandum of transfer of office) of 1933, the acting Resident of Southeast Borneo, Jonkheer B.C.C.M. van Suchtelen, mentioned the existence of 28 hospitals in his Residency, of which one out of nine was a Government Civil Hospital (GBZ). The GBZ of Moeara Teweh was one of these.
Moeara Teweh is the principal town of the department Doesoenlanden of the Residency South and East Borneo. The subdepartment Moeara Teweh had 37,000 inhabitants, of whom 7 Europeans and 277 Chinese. The town is situated on the Barito river in which the Teweh flowed (Gonggryp 1934, 864).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of the hospital.