The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Padang Sidempoean was established in the 1920s. The hospital was mentioned in the Annex to the NI Staatsblad (NI Statute Book) no. 11446 of 30 August 1927 by which Regulations on target groups, personnel and tariffs were issued. It was attributed one nursing class (4), which usually meant that it was a small hospital. The tariff was at that moment ƒ 1.50 per day. The hospital was again mentioned in Bijblad no. 13808 of 9 February 1937 with similar regulations.
In the travel report on the visit of Governor General Tjarda van Starkenborgh Stachouwer of March 1940 the hospital was visited, while Dr. Bieger as Officer of Health had the supervision of this hospital.
From: Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost Indie, pag. 128: a town plan of Padang Sidempoean is presented, together with a layout of the main buildings. The old hospital is mentioned (8) in 1945.
Padang Sidempoean was an Assistant Residency of the Residency Tapanoeli on the West Coast of Sumatra. The main town carried the same name. The Assistant Residency had 277,000 inhabitants. The town of Padang Sidempoean had 5,900 inhabitants, of whom 40 Europeans and 437 Chinese. The town was situated on the motorway from Padang to Medan. It was situated 300 meter high. (Gonggryp 1934, 1095).