This general public hospital was opened in 1903 at Banda Neira in the Moluccas. The Indisch Staatsblad no.32 of 1906 mentions the appointment of 1 mandoer (supervisor) for a salary of ƒ 120 per year.
The considerations are mentioned in Koloniaal Verslag 1903 (206): As the military hospital was downgraded to an infirmary with as a consequence that nursing care was no longer available to poor indigenous patients, it was decided to open a government hospital at Banda Neira.
Banda Neira was in the 1930s the main town of the island of Banda, which was a subdepartment of the Residency Amboina of the Government of the Moluccas under a gezaghebber (authorrity). The subdivision consists of the proper Banda islands: Groot Banda or Lontor Besar, Rozengain, Goenoeng and Roen Api and some 3 other islands. Banda used to be a residency. In 1599 Jacob van heemskerck arrived at Lontor; in 1619 the Dutch East India Company (VOC) took the islands in her ownership. Some 1,000 indigenous people departed to neighbouring islands. Nutmeg was monopolized and the land was parted to servants of the Company, who were called perkeniers. In 1864 the monopoly was lifted and then the perkeniers saw a golden era with much profit (1870-1894). Subsequently a period of deep recession took place. The many large and beautiful, but empty houses indicate the period of wealth. except for the indigenous population of mixed race, a numerous Arab community settled on Banda (Gonggryp 1934, 72-73)/
See also the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost Indiee (Asia maior/KNAG, 1903) with a town plan of Banda Neira,indicating the location of the hospital (p. 406).