The indigenous (Inlands) hospital at Ambarawa (Central Java) was founded in 1909. See Staatsblad 1909 no. 63 of 1 February 1909 (Decision of Governor General J.B. van Heutsz of 23 January 1909 no. 43) ,in which for a hospital to be established at Ambarawa was appointed: 1 mandoer (supervisor) at a monthly pay of ƒ 25 and 1 male or female servant at a monthly pay of ƒ 10. Additional personnel could be appointed as soon as the number of inpatients surpassed 40. Construction of a new hospital took place in the 1920s. This Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (government civil hospital) was allowed to admit patients in two nursing classes: 3rd class (tariff:f 3) and 4th class (f 1,50). (See Annex to Statute book no.11446 of 30 August 1927).
On the 1st of August 1936 this hospital with a capacity of 180 beds was transferred to the Roman Catholic mission.It was taken overby the congregation Franciscanessen of Heythuysen and was rebaptized into Hospital Sint Antonius.
Ambarawa,later on also called Salatiga, was a district of the Residency of Semarang (Gonggryp 1934, 552).