Hospital Merauke, New Guinea
KITLV Imagecode 112838
This hospital was established by Gouvernementsbesluit (Governmental Decisison) no. 9 of 18 May 1905. The appointment of its personnel was regulated by the decision of Governor General J.B. van Heutsz no. 36 of 15 January 1907 (published in NI Staatsblad no. 31 of 21 January 1907), called Indienststelling van bediendenpersoneel bij het Inlandsch hospitaal te Merauke (Appointment of service personnel at the Indigenous hospital Merauke). The regulation stated that 1 mandoer (superintendant) should be appointed at a monthly salary of ƒ 15 and 2 oppassers (attendants) at a monthly salary of ƒ 17.50 each. As soon as the number of inpatients surpasses 40, 1 attendant per 15 extra patients may be appointed additionally.
Merauke was the principal town of the sub-division South New Guinee of the division Amboina of the Residency of the Molucccas. The southeastern part belongs to the department of Amboina. The town is situated at the estuary of the Merauke river (Gonggryp 1934, 829).
See Annex no. 13808 to the NI Staatsblad van 9 Februari 1937: it is allowed to the Indigenous Hospital of Merauke to admit patients in the nursing classes 2, 3 and 4 (tariffs: ƒ 6, ƒ 3 and ƒ 1.50).
See also the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia Maior/knag, 2003) p. 433 for a townplan with indication of the hospital.
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of Merauke.