Hospital at Manggar on Billiton 1933 KITLV imagebank code 52973
The Billiton Company had 2 hospitals for the workers in the tin mines. One dispensary was established at Manggar with a dokter djawa, the other at Tandjong Pandan with a European doctor on a full-time base. The Koloniaal Verslag of 1880 mentions the existence of two ziekenzalen (dispensaries). In 1902 a building was erected at Manggar to accomodate a facility for syphilitic prostitutes. The picture was taken on the occasion of the departure of the controleur G.L. Bol on 17 April 1933.
The Billiton Company exploited tin mines on Billiton, the island at the East coast of Sumatra. Formerly the island had been a region with an assistant-resident, now it was part of the Residency Bangka en Onderhoorigheden and the administration was entrusted to a controleur.The Billiton Company had been founded in 1860 by Prins Hendrik der Nederlanden and V.G. baron van Tuyll van Serooskerken. In 1924, the NI Government founded together with the Billiton Company the NV Gemeenschappelijke Mijnbouwmaatschappij Billiton, a private-public enterprise (Gonggryp 1934, 89-92).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of island and hospital.