Municipal hospital Medan 1941 (KITLV image code 111542)
From Kouwenaar, De gezondheidszorg ter Oostkust van Sumatra 1911-1935 (Health care of the East Coast of Sumatra): Health care of the population of Medan had been looked after by the old Stadsverband with an indigenous doctor as managing doctor. In 1921, nursing of female patients was separated from the Stadsverband and was housed in a separate small hospital that took care of deliveries in town. In 1930, the old Stadsverband was replaced by a new Municipality hospital with 3 doctors. The patients of the Female hospital were transferred to the new hospital and the female hospital was left with only the midwife training. In 1935, this training too was transferred to the municipal hospital. Midwife training and training of mantri-nurses took place in the new hospital.
From: Memorie van Overgave (Transfer of Office) 1934: The Municipality of Medan disposes of a very well equipped hospital, subsidized by the NI Government with ƒ 40,000 (p. 197).
From Mededeelingen DVG XXVIII (1939) 61 (Information Bulletin Public Health Service): Midwife training took place in the Municipal hospital of Medan as well. The Indisch Verslag 1938 mentions a capacity of 217 beds and ƒ 440,566 subsidy.
Medan was the main town of the Government of the Eastcoast of Sumatra and of the department Deli and Serdang and the Sultanate Deli.The town has 75,000 inhabitants, of whom 4,000 Europeans and 30,000 Chinese. The town had a municipal council and a mayor (Gonggryp 1934, 825).
See also General hospitals 1940 – Google maps, for the location of town and hospital.
See also the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003). The pages 98-101 provide extensive townmaps of Medan, including its hospitals.