Photo from Collection Tropenmuseum TM 60052545
The hospital at Pasuruan was founded about 1886, when it was decided to convert the old prison into a hospital. In the 1930s this hospital became a municipal hospital. In 1929 this hospital had an average capacity of 112 beds. In this year only 42 were occupied on average. The daily subsidy per patient was f 0,90. The number of nursing days that year were 15,251 and the subsidy received was f 13,685. The subsidy was received according to the Regulations of the Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie of 1917 no. 229, in which regulations provinces, municipalities or autonomous communities received subsidy like all local hospitals.
In the 1930s Pasuruan was a regency, district and subdistrict with a capital of the same name of the Residency Malang in the province of East Java. The regency Pasuruan counted those days almost 450,000 inhabitants, among whom 1,200 Europeans and 4,000 Chinese. The town of Pasuruan has only 37,000 inhabitants of whom 763 Europeans and 2,700 Chinese. There is a municipality council with a mayor. Pasuruan is situated at the sea and is connected by railway and tramway. The well-known rehabilitation centre Tosari is situated in this regency. Theren used to be many sugar companies and some kina companies. The population is moslim and mostly Madurese. From 1685 till 1706 it was the seat of the resistance movement of Soeropati. Its prominent place as commercial city has deteriorated (Gonggryp 1934, 1152).